MandaPandasQuestForAsianBabies

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hong Kong Days 45 & 46

Thursday: we went to lunch with Dr. Sun and Dr. Fairweather at the staff restaurant at CityU. We had the salad and dessert buffet. It was ok with some of the dishes being delicious and others being well not as good. Then we met some famous mathematician from Stanford. His name is Dr. Golub and he is one of the most distinguished and influential numerical analysts in the world. (In the photo, he is the one in the blue in the back. To the right is Dr. Ng of hkbu and to the left is Dr. Chang of chinese university). He was very personable. He came in to the room and immediately wanted to know our names and had us talk a little about ourselves. It was very cool and he seemed like a very nice man –and very active too. He is 75 years old and still actively travelling the world and doing math. Impressive. All day I worked on the paper –chelsea had a late night the night before and was sick most of the day, so I was working alone, but I actually think that is better because it is easier to get things accomplished via writing a paper alone. I felt sorry that she was so sick though. =/
Friday: Chelsea went to ocean park so I worked alone again. I met sean and kinnex for lunch, so that was very nice of them to do so that I did not have to eat alone. After work, I went running because I wasn’t sure when Chelsea was getting back. I wanted to go shopping, but by the time Chelsea came back, it was too late. She and andrea wanted to eat at the Singapore restaurant near Mong Kok. We ended up waiting a while for it…this was probably the first time I had to wait for a restaurant since being here. Then since it was almost 10 by the time we got finished and I did not have a lot of time to go shopping anywhere and sean had not called me, I went back to my hotel. It was actually a good night. I worked on making playlists for my soccer friends (most of you know how much I love doing that even though it takes so much time). And I had fun talking about music to Pui…that kid has good taste ---even likes modest mouse (after I sent him Devil’s Workday) =). It will be hard to figure out and finalize playlists for everyone. I have one week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home